Saturday Night Love

Old School Chicano Dating.

Kakis pressed to a razor sharp

crease, shoes spit shined so that

one could see ones face in them.

The scent of freshly made tortillas

wafting from the kitchen, while

oldies songs spin on the record

player.

 

Hearts beating fast throughout

the barrio, as sweethearts get ready,

for a night of romance. They remind

me of vampires as they keep kissing

each other’s, necks, but maybe they

are just trying to avoid gingivitis.  

 

Daddy is in the bedroom, cigarette

dangling from his lips, as mama

gives him a piece of her mind,

reminding him, who really rules

at home and that he better hand

over the paycheck he’s been

hiding, or else he’ll be sleeping

in the car.

 

Cars cruising down the street,

Some honking their horns just

to remind everyone that yesterday

was payday, and that now, it’s

party time in the hood.

 

Some young chuco sitting nervously

in his ride waiting for my sister to

come out, while daddy has his eyes

on him like a chicken hawk watching

a young rooster, and he looks about

ready to pluck out his feathers.

 

My sister finally comes out of the

house, it’s about time because her

date’s been waiting for over an hour

and his face is sweating big time, 

under daddy’s watchful eye.

 

Daddy has now moved to a chair on

the porch where he can get a good

look at my sisters date. He told

mama he was just being polite,

and letting sisters date know that he

keeps a loaded shotgun under his bed,

by polishing it. He says it’s just in case,

my sister ever comes home, with a big

panza.

 

Me, I’ll just pull my little chuco hat

over my eyes so that my sisters date

can’t see my eyes gleaming with

delight. Now, daddy’s off his chair

and going to speak with that vato.

 

My sister has her mouth wide open

as daddy lays down the rules, and

I can swear the young hoods eyes

are getting wider by the minute.

 

Well, I guess the dramas over now

as sisters date keeps saying “Yes sir,

No Sir,” to daddy. Daddy is now

finally satisfied that sisters date is

an okay dude and gives him his

blessing along with a little hint

about having to go finish cleaning

his shotgun.

 

“Yawn,” I’m beginning to feel sleepy.

I guess it’s just old age catching up

with me.” Well, I think I’ll go watch

my favorite cartoons, as it’s hard to

do much of anything else, when your

just a six-year-old, mini chuco

 

Your truly,

Little Frankie

 

Frank Solis 2021

All Rights Reserved

 

Comments

Popular Posts